Sunday 7 September 2014

Guest Post : Trust Is A Must

Today, we have another guest post by my dear friend, Daneisha Brathwaite. She is one desiring to be that flower in the garden of God who will show forth is glory and beauty. I pray that as you would read this article that your hearts would be drawn closer to God and that you would be able to trust Him.

~~~~~~

Often times when I find myself in certain circumstances, I am told to 'Just trust God'. This phrase is so easily uttered by many, but at times I find it difficult to actually commit myself to doing it, but why? I think one of the main reasons is because of the many disappointments and unmet expectations/needs I have experienced throughout my life. Sometimes, things felt like they haven't gone my way and I am left feeling like a deflated balloon or withered flower. I am sure that many of you reading this now, have too like me, found letting go and trusting God hard, especially when you have no idea of what is going to happen next. What I am sure of now, is that the moment we choose to let go of the things that worry us and place them in God's hands, we no longer have to be afraid. We can stand firmly and be confident because as His children we know that "all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28 NKJV).

Worry goes and peace comes when we trust God - "You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You." (Isaiah 26:3 NKJV). I remember, when I used to try to work out everything on my own, I was very miserable and became easily frustrated. I was not relying on God because back then, I wasn't quite sure of what the outcome would be. That was the hardest part for me; letting go. Some days I would surrender everything, but the next day, I would start trying to figure out everything again and end back up right at the beginning feeling discouraged. I then had a 'light bulb' moment. I realized that trusting God was something I had to commit myself to doing every SINGLE day and act like it too. The Bible tells us to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10). I couldn't say 'God, I trust You', yet I am constantly thinking and even talking about the situation, I had to fully let go, let go in my mind too. I had to be still and allow God to take control. My mind had to be stayed on Him and not on the circumstance. Honestly it's hard sometimes, but trusting God with all that we have is a MUST, if we truly want to experience Him fully in our lives.

What does trust mean? Trust is the firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability or strength of someone or something. In the New Testament, two Greek words are used in relation to the heart attitudes of a true believer in Christ. "Peitho" means to have confidence in and "pepoithesis" means trust/confidence. We must have confidence in God. We must know that nothing we go through is too much or too big for Him to handle. Trust is also a verb. To trust God, means that we must submit and surrender our all to Him just as the Bible tells us - " Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him and He shall bring it to pass." (Psalm 37:5 NKJV).

In the Bible, we are given specific instructions about trusting God.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV says:
 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths."

The meaning of this verse is simple. It tells us to trust God with not part but ALL of our hearts. It doesn't mean that we only trust Him, when we think things are working out for us. It means that we choose to trust Him, in the tough situations, when things are dark and we feel hopeless. It means that we will surrender everything we have to Him. When we do this we are saying to God not our will but yours be done God. We do not rely on our own insights but we trust Him despite and in spite of what we see, feel or think we know.

I am not sure what position you are at now in your relationship with God but whatever you are facing, know that you can trust God. He will never fail you and He is concern with all that concerns you. Place everything in His hands and watch it all fall into place. God is there and He cares - "Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7). Whatever is hindering you today, let it go. It may be fear, doubt or insecurities, let them go. Trusting in God, doesn't have to be hard either, we just have to make a decision. Are we going to live in fear or faith? There is so much joy and peace released when you trust God. Always remember TRUST IS A MUST and not an option.

Prayer:
Dear Faithful Father, forgive me for the times I have trusted in my own self, instead of You. Help me daily to commit my all that I have to You and trust that You will work everything together for my good. When all is darkness and I feel weak and helpless, give me the sense of Your presence, Your love and Your strength. Help me to have perfect trust in Your protecting love and strengthening power, so that nothing may frighten or worry me. Amen.


My name is Daneisha Brathwaite. I am 19 years of age and a love of Jesus. He is my greatest source of strength and inspiration and my bestfriend; without Him my life would be pointless. I have an insatiable appetite for helping people. I am currently completing my Associate Degree in Social Work at the Barbados Community College. After BCC, I hope to further my education in Social Work at the University of the West Indies and then a University in Canada. I am also very passionate about dance. I am a part of the dance ministry at my church, New Dimensions Ministries and also have a hope in becoming a contemporary dancer. I am also the founder of Finesse Designs, check it out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment below with your thoughts on the post!